Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Recipe Remakes - Part 1

My love for being in the kitchen isn't just about baking - I REALLY love cooking food too! You can definitely consider me a serious Foodie. My cooking ranges from the tried and true family recipes that I will always love, to Saturday morning Food Network inspirations, to yummy things I've tried in restaurants that I recreate in my own kitchen.

This will be my first Recipe Remake post! How exciting! :)

Today's Remake: Chicken Kitchen's Deluxe Chop-Chop.


Now if you aren't from Miami you might not be familiar with the Chop-Chop phenomenon, but we have several places you can find them or variations of them - Chicken Kitchen, Pollo Tropical, Three Chefs and a Chicken, Chicken Grill, etc. As you can see they are all about the Chicken! A Chop-Chop is basically a bowl of rice (yellow, white, brown, or lo-carb aka lettuce!) with chopped up chicken breast and toppings (tomato, lettuce, black beans, cheese, and sauce). The sauce is a BIG part of this meal. There are a few different options - but there's really only one worth mentioning.... the curry mustard. OMG, it is SO good! It's really not a complete meal without it, ask anyone! Don't worry - today's recipe remake has the sauce, so I've got you covered!

Chicken Kitchen Deluxe Chop Chop -

- Chicken Breasts*
- Rice (I'm using yellow today!)
- Desired toppings (let's do lettuce and tomato - that makes it the Deluxe!)
- 2 tbsp mayo
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- Maybe 2 tbsp water (depends on how thick you want it)

1. Cook the chicken and the rice to your liking. I usually season my chicken with salt, pepper, and lemon pepper seasoning and just plop it in a hot pan with some olive oil in it. For the rice I like it a little mushy so I do 1 cup of rice to about 1 1/2 cups of water, little salt, and a spoonful of olive oil in the pot.
**Once the chicken is done let it rest for a few minutes before you cut into it so the juices can reabsorb and you don't end up with dry chicken.

2. Mix the mayo, mustard, and curry powdered - check the consistency and add water if you want it a little thinner. Set aside until ready to use.

3. Chop up your veggies and drain your beans if you are using any.

4. Place finished rice in the bottom of your bowl - I like to use a pasta bowl because it's a nice dome-like shape and that makes me happy - top with chicken and your veggies and then COVER in curry mustard sauce! Trust me, you won't regret that!

*Note: The amount of ingredients really just depends on how many people and how hungry you are! :)

It's really a simple dinner and it's so tasty! Also much cheaper than eating out and I usually have everything I need to make it on hand. Try experimenting with different rices and toppings! The possibilities are really endless! Chicken Kitchen serves it with half of a pita, which I like to do too when I think about it on the way home and have time to stop to grab them. It's also really good topped with fresh salsa! But the curry mustard is the classic topping for any Chop-Chop!

I hope you guys enjoyed my first Recipe Remake! Many more soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment